Norcal Vdubs

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:21 pm

They sound AMAZING!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Greg and Mateo: YES, google it. She can make your women some chaps! And no shipping since she's local. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:19 pm

Sweet Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:16 pm

Now that Ray has been porting the intake runners, he's discovered he can go bigger than he originally thought. We are now going with 43 x 35. Smile This will allow us to lower the compression to 9-9.25:1. The benefit being it will run cooler. But we won't lose power because it will have a longer torque band of approximately 3500-7000rpms. With larger valves and intake runners the effective ratio actually rises at higher rpms due to complete filling of the combustion chamber. The higher you rev it, the more compression it will get because it will fill the chamber with a bigger load of fuel/air mix. He explained this to me as pouring liquid from a quart jar into a gallon jar and it will splash around more also, for a better burn. Since we are running shorter manifolds, we want to pick up the air speed in the intake manifold right below the carbeurator. This makes the air pull harder to the carb so that there is less hesitation.

Seat pockets with new seats installed, but not ground yet.

Intake ported.

This shows the ported intake done on one side, not done on the other yet, for comparison.

Intakes compared between Lynda's old racebus heads (the ones I was going to use) and the new ones (larger now).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Submarine Driver

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:09 pm

I have run out of ways to express my amazement. This is just too cool!

I would like ride in Hugo when it's done, pretty please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
60herbie53
State Route

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:59 pm

I think it is way cool that you are sharing this build with us. It is just spectacular.

El Dorado Herbie and Dann
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lovebugfans.com
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:54 am

Submarine Driver wrote:

I would like ride in Hugo when it's done, pretty please.

Sure Chris! I'll love giving rides. It'll be fun to try and make some grown men scream like a little girl. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:47 am

You should be able to put Hugo's nose in the air without much of a problem I bet.

Fun times to be had. Shocked

- '69 Karmann Ghia Coupe - May(hem) - "WIKED KG" Super Street
- '69 Drag Ghia - Kay(os) -"Wicked Sister"
- Still looking for a low light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:12 am

Ray's been machining and porting the heads and manifolds and that is a huge undertaking and so not a lot to report on the thread here.

BUT, Velvet the bus lost 3rd gear for good, in addition to having trouble now with 1st and 4th, so she's parked. I got a complete bus tranny with RGB's off CL and it needs to be rebuilt, so that is after the motor build for Hugo. That means she'll be sitting for a while, so I said, heck, let's put Hugo's old motor BACK into Hugo so that I can at least go back to driving my car that has been gutted for 3 months.

So, that's what we did this weekend. But, I was eyeballing that competition merged exhaust that is going on the new motor. Heck, who needs heaters, right? Let's stick it on and get a feel for it.

And, while were at it, let's put on a little power pulley that I have for a bit more HP. So, Hugo has even more power in that 28 year old 1600cc, so it's a kick in the pants to feed the need for speed as I wait impatiently.....

Isn't that a wicked sound? I know, no muffler, most any motor can sound this way. But is soooo not my meek little bug, it is the beast within. Twisted Evil

Dawn is driving with a Big Smile On Her Face again..... What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:22 am

Good to hear Hugo is back on the road!

That exhaust is very cool, how does it sound with the turbo muffler?

Or did you put a stinger on it? Inquiring minds want to know.

- '69 Karmann Ghia Coupe - May(hem) - "WIKED KG" Super Street
- '69 Drag Ghia - Kay(os) -"Wicked Sister"
- Still looking for a low light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:51 am

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:35 am

GOOD JOB Dawn ...............Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.valleros.com
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:51 pm

Yes, I put on the muffler that we are planning on using with it. Had to cut off the flange since it was too small, and weld the proper flange on.

The motor can certainly breathe now. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Submarine Driver

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:47 pm

We had a similar exhaust setup when the 1915 was in the bug. It sounded magical especially when running with only velocity stacks. I miss that sound soooo much.

Last edited by Submarine Driver on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
60herbie53
State Route

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:47 pm

That exhaust looks like it will surely let it breathe well. Nice job on the fabrication.

El Dorado Herbie and Dann
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lovebugfans.com
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:02 pm

The tailpipe was too far under the car and caused a loud rumbling inside. I know, I know, good excuse to invest in an amp and subwoofer to drown it out.... Very Happy But, Ray said it will also turn my fender black, so he welded on a bit more to get the exhaust out from under the car.

It is much quieter now. But, still has a throaty sound that I really like, even though it's the same old motor. Going to be really interesting to hear the new one.

And also, we left the cooler and filter on Velvet because it was mounted in there really well and it's cool outside and only temporary, so we thought the motor would be okay. Not. It got up to 230 degrees on the way to GV and yesterday was very cool out. That is the hottest that motor has gotten in it's 28 years, I could smell the oil burning on the outside of it. It even got to 210 on the way home when it was only 49 degrees outside and we were going downhill.

Hmmm, may have something to do with the tiny racing pulley that I insisted on.... Yeah, I know, all in the name of more HP, but that pulley DOES make a big difference.

So, next in the plan is to mount the NEW cooler and dual filters that the new motor is going to run in Hugo, it had to be done anyways, may as well work on that now and take a break from all the head work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Okay, so we have been working on getting the temp down with this big-ass merged exhaust on the old 1600. This isn't wasted time on the new motor because we will undoubtedly deal with temp issues with it in Hugo also.

Here's the racing pulley that I would like to use. We are testing *with* it, even though I know we could get the temp down more with the stock sized one. It is so small that we had to sink the belt down into the generator by putting about 15 shims in.

These are the braided lines that you want to use with an external filter and/or cooler. I think it is technically an air compressor hose. It is has a stainless steel outer jacket and teflon inner. Burst pressure is 1750#, it's pricey at $11.49 a foot, but so is a new motor. Rubber deteriotes from the day you put it on. This stuff never will.

Here are the dual oil filters from the old 912 racecar. Oil goes at half speed because the oil is going through both at the same time, not from one to the other. This results in better filtering and less drag on the oil systom.

Here's a shot from the back, looking at the oil cooler mounted. It is in the center of the picture, under the car, to the right of the shock.

And some shots of the lines. This was time consuming, but the location for the cooler is the best one with lots of air flow, and the lines are tucked up out of risk of snagging. As for where the lines go in and out of the motor: We blocked off the outlet to the oil pump that would normally go to the crankcase and blocked the case inlet off too (see the beginning of this thread). Now the oil can only go out the pump cover (that replaces the stock plate). The line should go to the filter first, so that the oil is hot, so it's thin. Then it goes to the external cooler and back to the case through the main oil galley.

Notice the hole in the fender well. It was hacked in there when the engine was built 28 years ago. Ray says his kids must have done it, not up to his standard...heh, heh. It's there to be able to access the dual 40 webers. It had a cover, but we removed them entirely because Ray is going to enlarge this hole and make a better "door" for them for the 48's.

Cutting new doors with the plasma cutter (cool tool).

For the sake of time, it's late and I want to drive my car, we just put them over the old holes. Later when the new motor is done, the holes will be enlarged and cleaned up.

And from the inside looking at the "doors" on the right and the left.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Before I get back to the motor build, just a side note: We've rejetted the dual 40's on Hugo's old motor to get it to run well with that large exhaust. They are now running .50mm idle jets, 2.00 air jets, 1.45mm mains. The test will be today on my way to work, climbing the grade to GV.

So, Ray shortened the barrels by .090 for zero deck using the expanding mandrel. Here's the difference between before and after.

How it's done.

We're within .001 of where we want, we're calling that good. Smile

Now the barrels need to be honed. They come "looking" perfect, but you take a fraction off the surface and irregularities show up as shadows. Then Ray hones a few more times to remove those imperfections (they would have manifested as leakage if not removed).

This is from the factory. Looks fine, right? Smooth surface, no shadows.

This is one that was already done and shows the shadows that are a concern.

After you hone one slightly, these shadows show up. They are irregularities under the surface that WILL manifest themselves once in a working engine. It may sound complicated, but the barrel looks perfect at first, then he hones it lightly to *see* the shadows, then he hones a bit more to *remove* them.

How it's done.

In the video, when the barrel wobbles on the honing machine, that is caused by the lumps that are being removed. When Ray had a dyno, he'd beat them up on dyno (or during a race) and hone again to keep them round. They tend to want to square up because of the voids where the studs are on the outside fins. He's rehoned Tony's barrels several times to keep them round after a race.

All 4 of mine have shadows that cannot be completely removed without making the barrel too large. But they are all near the base of the cylinder below the ring line, so they are not a concern. But you can see the shadow as a horizontal line along near the edge.

Last edited by dsimas on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Road test to GV was a success! The jets, sealing all the holes in the tin (no heater tubes and was letting 700 degrees radiate from the exhaust pipe into the engine compartment), and of course the external cooler... all brought the temp down 50+ degrees. Topped out at 185, rather than 230+. Even with the small racing pulley. So, I've got my car back while we finish the build. But with more HP due to running only stacks (removed air cleaners), merged 1-7/8" exhaust, and small pulley. Easy boost in power. I barely had to touch the throttle to climb the Alta Sierra grade. Big cheesy grin on my face. Very Happy

The new heads are coming along. It's 2-3 days of grinding for each one, very labor intensive. Ray has to be like a sculptor, it's really an art, to get symmetry in a 3D perspective. He's about done with one head and here he is straightening the slight lumps with a rattail file.

This is how he checks for lumps in the head by rocking back and forth to see the curvature symmetry after grinding the intake ports. Focus your eyes on the lower part of the hole to the black hole on the other side. By rocking, your eye can catch any lumps in the curve as it rotates past. This is how he checks his work before calling it good.

Next, we are backcutting the valves to 25 degrees to increase airflow.

Before:

Using a collet chuck, the most accurate chuck there is. The chuck on left is what some valve grinders use.

We have now changed the effective lift of the valve. After:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:24 pm

Here's the lineup at Ray's yesterday. Smile

Ray is still working on grinding the manifolds. If you look back in this thread, you will see how they were welded by Bast Bros after Ray cut them to shorten them. They are now 4-1/2" tall, shorter than any Ray has heard of. The shortest he could find prefabbed are 5-1/2". So, now he needed to clean up the welding on the outside. And it's tricky, since there's no telling if he goes too far. He did punch through in one thin spot, so that will be fixed. He still needs to do more porting on them after the exteriors are cleaned up.

One is almost done, the other still needs some more work. But this is several hours of labor just to this point.

Here's the hole. It was a result of having to go far enough in that spot to get a nut to fit there when mounting them.

Ray ran across some lighter weight chromoly wrist pins in his shop over the weekend. Were they worth the extra work to shorten them to fit my pistons? Well, we weighed them and they are 40 grams lighter each, so that would be a YES. Laughing Reciprocating parts have to stop each revolution and it yanks on them harder the heavier they are. These will be easer on the rod bearings at high RPM'S. Ray is shooting for this motor turning 8000 and this will help achieve that goal.

He made this cutting block to hold on to the pin so the vice can hold on to it without knocking the pins out of round.

They are too long, so we are removing .010 off the end with the Winona.

Then chamfering the new end's edge.

We will be using spiral locks on them, rather than the Truarc snap rings that they came with. The snap rings, in Ray's experience, fail more.

It is important to clean out the middle of the wrist pins before assembly. This is missed by many. Look at all the stuff inside them.

Ray has assembled the case and we are now going to measure the deck clearance. We have zero deck and are shooting for .040 clearance to allow for rod stretch at high rpms and another .007 for carbon buildup since this will be a street motor (not necessary for a racecar). So, he preloads the dial indicator for .050, put a copper head gasket on the barrel, and we came up needing to use a .010 barrel shim to achieve what we wanted.

Here he demonstrates how this is done with the fixture he built that simulates a head for accuracy. After measuring, he returns the fixture to the plate to be sure that it still says zero to be sure that nothing had moves, the video does not show that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:54 am

Does every one understand deck hight now or should we show more on this ?
L.M.K. confused
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:42 pm

That's very well explained. Do you check all 4 cylinders?
Back to top Go down
rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:49 pm

Eric Yes you should check All the decks, allways remember the cyls. must have the same shims
or over all cyl. hights will be off, and the head would leak like hell. So if they are diffrent something else is off.??

So What could cause this ???? please tell me ? all the shims are the SAME

THERE WILL BE A TEST !! LMK confused AND DON'T ASK Dawn
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:21 am

#1 Rods-Rod lengths from CL of wrist pin to CL of rod bearing are different.
#2 Pistons-Distance from CL of wrist pin to top of pistons not the same.
#3 Cyls- Cylinder lengths different.
#4 Case- Warped or improperly machined case resulting in cylinder decks not being the same
in relation to the center-line of the case.
#5 Improperly line-bored case. IE: Not bored to the true center of case. Crankshaft lies to one
side of case or possibly diagonal to the center of case.
#6 Crank- Rod journals not machined the same distance from the main journals. (Could this happen?)
Back to top Go down
rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:35 am

GOOd job; I wanted to see if any one would make # 6
# 7 ? is ???

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   

Back to top Go down

Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next