Norcal Vdubs

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:29 am

NO matt !!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.valleros.com
rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:39 am

140 maybe Thats alot, but I allways go easy on HP # 's
Remember this is a K-8 with 1.3 rockers remember that. Twisted Evil but I have been there !!!
passing cars will tells the tail. #'s are for bosters . Real life is what I like.
Back to top Go down
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:44 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:50 am

If you get the throttle cable fixed I am sticking with 185.

You all are just trying to throw me off...

- '69 Karmann Ghia Coupe - May(hem) - "WIKED KG" Super Street
- '69 Drag Ghia - Kay(os) -"Wicked Sister"
- Still looking for a low light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:07 am

Ray is speaking in riddles. Stick with your guess. He said the same thing last time. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rayvallero

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:10 am

Remember the headssssss they are Nasty Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:35 pm

At Evil Genius Racing's chassis dyno last night. No simple answer as to the results because, unfortunately, in the rush to get there on time with Sacramento rush hour traffic, we forgot the air correctors in the jet kit that we brought to tune it. BIG bummer. Did some scrambling trying to find some racers with some we could borrow, but nobody was close enough for us to connect without being too late to make our appt on the way. We decided to keep the appt and get a baseline of info and jet accordingly at the shop.

Strapped in and ready to go.

After the first pull at 5500rpms:

128HP at the wheels, 132 torque. Nice that they are real close. Running too lean though. Current jetting is .60 idle, 1.35 main, 1.65 airs.

Went for a 2nd pull at 6000rpms and no noticable improvement. Rejetted the mains to 1.45 out of curiosity, but coudn't go any higher without airs too.

Last pull at 6500rpms:

That upped the HP to 132HP, but got some popping due to being too lean, so we called it a night. We're going to go with 170 mains and 200 airs back at home and test drive that, and go from there.

The power band was nice. From 3000 to 5000 rmps, it was within 5 #'s of torque.

So, in conclusion:

The last pull was better by 4HP after rejetting the mains a bit: 132 HP, 132 torque. That's approximately 155-160HP at the motor. But it's dropping off at 6000 rpms due to the jetting. Ray thinks it will get approximately 10 more HP when we dial it is and stop starving it for fuel. It was running out of fuel over 5,000, which makes it go lean and start popping. So, rejetting, needles and seats, and a better fuel pump, all will improve things. We are looking for drivability, and a smooth power band and the best HP that can be achieved with that in mind. Kinda fun tinkering with combinations. Ray feels it will ultimately get 145-155 at the wheels when we get it dialed in. We'll go back to the dyno when he's had time to do all the mods. In the mean time, the car really is only on the idle jets during all my street driving and runs just fine.

Also note that was with a full sized pulley since we're still experimenting with cooling. We drove there at 70mph for 45 minutes, temp outside was 68, and the heads were 318 when we arrived, oil temp never topped 185. He's still got some plans for modifying that shroud by making the fan tighter, etc, which we will need when the weather warms up. Maybe it could run a power pulley at some point depending how it all goes, which would add another 6 HP if we want it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Mateo wrote:
It's a completely different animal. Where to start, the whole thing is different.

Upright vs. Pancake...

One could say they both were effective in doing the job they were designed to do.

It would be my OPINION (not a fact) that if a Type 3 or 4 upright conversion OR a Type 1 pancake conversion offered drastic improvements you would see more of them done.

I think they are in the category of 'eccentric' and that is what makes them appealing and not necessarily a performance improvement (I wouldn't mind doing a Type 4 upright conversion just to say I have done one).

"The views expressed in this post are those of the author and not necessarily those of anyone else on this planet. If you don't agree, feel free to post your own opinions, but try to be a descent human being about it. Thank You"

WELL IF HUGO'S NEW ENGINE COMES OUT AGAIN WE CAN PUT IT IN MY FASTY!! THAT IM POSITIVE WOULD BE A NICE GAIN VS. THE PANCAKE THATS IN THERE affraid lol!

Call the shop Tues - Fri 8:30-5 at:  530-477-2582
Text me at:  530-613-7192

AIR COOLED FOR LIFE!!!!! Twisted Evil

1972 BODY & PAN FOR SALE (PAN NEEDS BOTH PAN HALVES REPLACED, SOLID BAJA BODY, WILLING TO SEPERATE) $600 OBO (PAID $750)
1970 PAN FOR SALE (WAS A FULL SIZED BUGGY THAT BURNT.  HAS NEW BRAKE HARD LINE MASTER BACK & REAR FLEX LINES, & NEW CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS/BOLTS NOT INSTALLED) $300 OBO PAID $350

NEED A TOW??
RENT ME & MY 91 DODGE DIESEL, TOWBAR, OR FLATBED CAR TRAILER FOR ONLY $1.00 A MILE!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
Breck

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:58 pm

I want one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:37 pm

dsimas wrote:

128HP at the wheels, 132 torque.
Whoa! Who was it that said 127? Gosh, my memory these days...........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Greg, you are spooky. Beat out the builder even. And the Builder's Little Buddy...

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:47 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:50 pm

Hey!

I resemble that remark... drunken

- '69 Karmann Ghia Coupe - May(hem) - "WIKED KG" Super Street
- '69 Drag Ghia - Kay(os) -"Wicked Sister"
- Still looking for a low light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Quick update on Hugo. Ray never stops. He spends his nights dreaming about making things better. Gets up and goes to get coffee and read the dyno report-- over and over... Ruminating.

The float on the left carb stuck open once and geysered gas like a fountain. It happened while I was giving it throttle behind the car, so I witnessed it. No guarantee that it's not happened while driving to a lesser degree.

We added a shutoff switch to the electric fuel pump. Hugo's OLD motor that is going in my bus Velvet (has dual 40 Webers) will get the same treatment.

Here's Ray's email about it:

"Electric fuel pumps: The best way to start is with the pump off, then you turn it on, after the motor starts, the vibration of the motor running stops the sticking thing that can happen and flooding. Then you turn the fuel pump off, before you turn the motor off. This stops gas from leaking from the carb from heat biuld up when sitting warm. I did it with all my race cars, works very well. And very safe. All dual carb motors run the risk of this, even Velvet. We will look in to that on her as well, because Velvet with the gas tank so high could fill the whole motor full of gas then bend or break poo poo when you go to start her. We need a check valve in line (liquids do not compress) so if she is
full of gas and you turn her on she will be locked up then bad crap happens....... Smile) Just sayin'. With
stock buses this has happened. You have to pull all the plugs, then crank it over, AFTER you
have drained all gas out of the crank case and put new oil in. P.S. The motor will idle for along time with out the pump on. So there no hurry to turn motor off after the pump is off."

Most importantly we changed the emulsions to F11 and jets are now .60mm idles, 1.45mm mains, 2.00 air. Hugo is running much smoother with this setup. The carbs have accel pump leakage issues too, but we don't have time to deal with it yet before our weekend cruise. Adding a return spring to them has improved it greatly, not even noticeable, but still leaks. Art Thraen (ACE) has been providing some help and Ray has ideas on what he will be doing later and I'll update. In the meantime, the car is running the best since we started it, READY for our trip tomorrow!

Here's a few teasers with pics from the VW museum. Again folks, this is not open to the public, join us if you want to see it tomorrow!

http://www.norcalaircooledgroup.org/showthread.php/838-Mark-Merrill-s-awesome-place

http://www.norcalaircooledgroup.org/showthread.php/1731-Mark-Merrill-s-open-house-extravaganza!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)   

Back to top Go down

Hugo's engine build at the Magical Place (Vallero's Machine Shop)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6