HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Downshift Grind

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Downshift Grind   Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Ok, so since I have been driving the Ghia ('May') more lately I have been working on a list of things that are kind of annoying and prioritizing.

One big thing is downshifting from third to second is next to impossible without grinding the gears. Even if you try to ease her in there it is still an impossible task to do without grinding. Like going around a freeway offramp and trying to downshift to merge into traffic.

I am fairly certain it is the original '69 tranny. So I have a few questions for the masses:

1: Is this a normal thing when downshifting or is my tranny definately worn? I am thinking about getting a new trans but if this is a normal problem that a new trans won't fix I'll invest in something else.

2: Is it something easy to fix that I could do on my current transmission and save the cost of a new one?

3: If a new tranny is the way to go, I was going to go with a 'freeway flyer' type, since I am cruising on the freeway at 65 most of the time. Any thoughts on this either way?

Thanks for any input and Happy Holidays! santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Downshift Grind   Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:21 pm

The tranny is tired. My '70 has the same issue from 4th to 3rd. You can probably get a lot more miles out of it if you can put up with it's quirks.
If you can afford it, buy a new (or professionally rebuilt). You will be much happier the shifting.
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Downshift Grind   Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:49 pm

Yep.. most likely the syncro is starting to get warn out.
The freeway flyer is a good trans. Like speed buggy said, the tranny will keep going.. so don't feel it's going to give out tomorrow..

My 69 was doing that from 3rd to 2nd also.. just dealt with it till I sold the car Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Downshift Grind   Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:25 am

Thanks for the all the info! Give me something to go on as far as prioritizing.

With that, on to the front end! New post to follow.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davids74Super
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Downshift Grind   Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:25 am

Not on downshifting, but shifting up from 2nd to 3rd with my tranny in my 70 StreetBug (formerly in the 74 Super) has been grinding from the day I got it (may 2008), Not every time, but probably 75% of the time. It has gotten worse, but I'm not expecting it to go out any time soon.

side note, I used to have a 74 standard, and it had no reverse. I could get it to go by holding the shifter in reverse, then let the clutch out just enough to roll back a few inches, and press the clutch back in, otherwise it would pop out of gear. It took a while, but it worked. But I would try to park facing out, or on a slope so gravity would allow me to roll downward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Downshift Grind   

Back to top Go down

Downshift Grind
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1