Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

best place for parts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
agent420

PostSubject: best place for parts?   Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:31 am

I'm about to have a little bit of work done on my 65 bug, but i need to get some parts. I hate to buy from bugformance because they are usually marked up and overpriced. Anyone know of any local old school VW parts places? Im going to be replacing all 4 shocks, 2, possibly 4 brake drums, brake pads and swingaxle boots... cheap and local is the key =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:04 pm

You may try FPS, they don't do much air cooled stuff anymore, but they do some. Also I have found stuff at Carquest for pretty cheap prices but they are aftermarket/brazilian stuff. So as long as your arn't a purist that is a good cheap place to go for basic stuff like brakes and all. As far as specialty stuff like tins and all, I'm not sure where to go besides the internet.

I'm sure some of the VW folks that have been into longer then me will pop in here and give more suggestions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeinch

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:45 pm

I've heard people talking about Bugformance being overpriced since I bought my first Volkswagen 25 years ago. Back then I always went to Victory auto parts for my Vw parts. But now I don't see the difference. Seems to me you have several choices. You could go to any corner auto parts store and after dealing with a counter person who doesn't know anything about cars beyond what his computer is telling him they will order you your parts and you could pick them up in a few days and you will probably save a buck or two on each part. You could order them off the net. The prices are cheaper but it takes a week to get them, plus with the shipping costs you only end up saving a buck or two. Or you go to Bugformance, who on most days will have everything you need. (That's where the mark up usually comes from, they keep these parts on the shelf). The staff will know more about your car than any other auto parts store in the area. And mostly you will be supporting a business that supports the Vw hobby. I've known lots of people who don't like Bugformance prices, but when their car is broken and the need to get it running ASAP they are glad that shop is still in business.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobGrob9109

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:42 pm

i completely agree with mikeinch on this one

i am a college student and can only work on my bug when it breaks down and have little extra money so my thought to be fast fixer upper has turned into a constant work and its all about convenience the local bugformance

Bugformance isn't marked up as much as you believe it to be on most of their everyday items its the rare ones that you need immediately because no one else has them.. from a business stand point makes sense

so write down on a paper what you need and its costs
browse the web for details of cost add in tax (because we are in Cali) and then also shipping because you cant drive to pick it up

then figure in gas to bugformance and the price that they have.. or call them like i do ahead of time so i know how much they will be running me

you will soon find out that its not that big of a difference maybe a dollar at most times
Back to top Go down
View user profile
justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:32 pm

I hope I didn't sound like I didn't like BF, I actually do. Those guy's and my hubby go way back. I get a lot of my parts from them. I do get some parts elsewhere too though. BF does have a lot more in stock then any other place, that is for sure. In fact that is why we have Tech Days on Sat. BF is open. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonMullins

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm

I'vs bought on line, BF,Napa,Car Quest,And Orielly, they should all send me atleast a XMas card. Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:16 pm

You didn't get your card Dewey? LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonMullins

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:56 am

I know I sent it . Must have got lost in the nail
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davids74Super
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:45 am

I like dealing with Bugformance because they always have what I need and the staff knows everything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
agent420

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:35 pm

well, bugformance it is then... now i just need some money =/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugman66

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:29 pm

List the parts that you need in the Classifieds section of this website as a "WTB". Several of the regulars may have a parts stash that could save you some money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
agent420

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:38 pm

sounds good, ill make an ad as soon as my money comes in
Back to top Go down
View user profile
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:52 am

mikeinch wrote:
I've heard people talking about Bugformance being overpriced since I bought my first Volkswagen 25 years ago. Back then I always went to Victory auto parts for my Vw parts. But now I don't see the difference. Seems to me you have several choices. You could go to any corner auto parts store and after dealing with a counter person who doesn't know anything about cars beyond what his computer is telling him they will order you your parts and you could pick them up in a few days and you will probably save a buck or two on each part. You could order them off the net. The prices are cheaper but it takes a week to get them, plus with the shipping costs you only end up saving a buck or two. Or you go to Bugformance, who on most days will have everything you need. (That's where the mark up usually comes from, they keep these parts on the shelf). The staff will know more about your car than any other auto parts store in the area. And mostly you will be supporting a business that supports the Vw hobby. I've known lots of people who don't like Bugformance prices, but when their car is broken and the need to get it running ASAP they are glad that shop is still in business.

Perfectly stated. afro 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:09 am

Hey Greg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: best place for parts?   Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:12 am

Hey Breck. Lol