Share | 

Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
62type2
SacTown

PostSubject: thanks   Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:29 pm

Ive got to say that your article blows away any Hot VWs article I have seen. Thanks for the inspiration on the seized motor I need to rebuild,as well as the motivation to keep going on the panel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 am

Glad to be an inspiration.. the wind beneath your wings....LOL, well, maybe not that far.

I got the deep sump mounted on tonight and two pistons and sleeves and just pooped out. Every day I get home from work at 6 and work on that motor till 10.. getting tired. But getting close.

I will have more pics tomorrow. I need to finish up the other two pistons and sleeves then on to the heads. Should have a usable long block by Friday night.

Then install on Saturday.

I know a lot is going on this weekend, but if anyone is available to give me hand Saturday with the swap I would appreciate an extra set of hands. If not, no worries.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Been a busy couple of days. Did some work Thursday night.

Got the rings and pistons on...

Then got to number 3 ... not happy. There was some pitting and ridges in it. Looks like water sat in it for a while...

So, Friday night I honed the living hell out of it. I figured it was no good the way it is, so why not. Some of the pits still remained, but it was all smooth to the finger. Put a ring in it squared up and checked the gap.. still in within tolerance.. so what the heck. This is a budget build.. redneck style.

Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:23 pm

Then today.. work, work, work

Finished up the heads. Got the valves all lapped up. I used lapping compound then used some mothers polish. Cleaned it all up...
Then got the sleeves on..

Here is her belly.. new push rod tubes are soooo pretty!

I am a big believer in deep sumps. If the life blood of this engine is oil.. I want to hold more oil. I like em.. the engine runs cooler and you don't have to change the oil as often.
Then Started stripping the old engine..

Put the stuff on the new engine..

Then dropped the old motor.

Almost fell on my foot. Not happy.

So tomorrow.. bolt up the new motor and put all the goodies on it. Then the moment of truth. I hope to have the first 15 minute run going by noon.
Back to top Go down
Tinman
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:04 pm

Was it a success or failure?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:24 am

F#*k^ng failure. I thing someone bored that case 2 different sizes.
I got the motor in the car this morning and had it all hooked up and ready to go. Finally got it started.. put the dizzy in 180 off.. duh... She sounded rough.
Finally shut her down and I have up and down movement at the pulley. I remember when I put the bearings in the back two (near the flywheel) fit nice and snug, but the front two just dropped right in. I don't know why that did not raise a red flag in my mind. So my only conclusion in that someone bored the first two journals, but not the other two.

So dropped it out.. started looking at the old motor.. popped a head off.. ohhh.. look at that, the exhaust valve seat had come out of the head. That would explain that annoying ticking sound on deceleration. and the smoke on take off.... soooooooo.....

ripped the heads, pistons and barrels off my rebuild and threw them on the old motor.. Actually got it back in tonight and did the initial start up. Sounds a bit rough, but nothing out of the ordinary for not being tuned up yet. Got it all nice and hot so things would seat and called it a night. Tomorrow morning I am going to throw on the deep sump and do the valves again.. then set timing then adjust carb. But sounds a whole lot better than what it was. Plus, I have a ton of oil pressure.. 62 psi and cold start up.. then down to 40 then to 23psi at idle. Jumps up to 45 on a quick rev. So I really feel the internals of the old motor are still okay.. We will find out! LOL
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:20 am

What a learning experience... If only it wouldn't have come with such a time consuming headache!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:47 am

Yeah.. I have a small list of a few new tools to buy before I try again. A bore measure tool is first on the list. I thought I would be good with micrometer, but could only measure two journals.. so, of course figured if 2 where the same, the rest would be. Not so much.

Still have good parts.. so will go for another.. but if I get the old engine running smooth enough, then I can take my time.. maybe do a 1776 like I really want.
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:57 pm

I am about to purchase a rebuilt 1776 for the single cab. That would be a nice way to go for your beetle. Plenty of power and reliability!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:50 am

Yeah.. if only I could get that damn money tree to grow.. but it just keeps dying.

The car is running. Still have a few bugs to work out. Got some throaty noise on acceleration.. but might just be my paranoia of it breaking down on me again. My dad brought up a good point, with the new 1641 cylinders and freshened up heads, might just be the motor sounding more healthy.. I was just so used to a quite motor until the ticking sound.

Going to take a bit of a break. But will break apart the other motor and see what the hell happened. If it did not do any damage, which I don't think it did, will try to get it back together and in the car in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
type 4
State Route

PostSubject: I have what you are looking for   Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:22 pm

I have an engine stand you run engines on. It has a gas tank starter wheels to move it around. No it is not for sale. You can bring your engine by any time and tune it before you install it. When we are running the 1915 in Lowla we tune the carbs before installing the engine. It makes life much better

I will take some pic's, my 1915 is on it right now setting up some 44's. I started it last week with open headers in my garage OMG not good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   

Back to top Go down

Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2