Share | 

Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:45 pm

LOL.. thought some of you might get a kick out of this. I call it redneck rebuild because I don't have a garage.. so I will be rebuilding this motor outside and in my wood working shop.

I acquired a 1600 dual port motor today that needs to be rebuilt. Figure I can baby my baby for a week to get to work and back while I do a rebuild.

Here is the engine. Will start tearing it down tomorrow.

The goal is to do this rebuild for under 200.00. My dad had this motor laying around.. sounds like it has a bad rod bearing.. we shall see. But over all not in bad shape and plenty of usable parts.

I will post my progress and pics so you can follow along for those curious about engine rebuilding on a budget. I have done this before with great success.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Davids74Super
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:48 pm

Cool. I'll probably be doing this soon with the motor in the 70 Street Bug.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Okay.. got home late, but got some done. I got the heads and piston sleeves off.

Note for newbies.. MARK EVERYTHING. If you are doing a budget build, that means parts are going back together and need to go back together the way they come off.

I already found one major problem with this engine... Number one does not seem to have a rod bearing anymore!!! I can fully move number one rod around on crank.. I might need another crank?? we shall see.
Back to top Go down
SactoJ
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:58 am

This is awesome! keep the pics rolling! I may do what you are doing as you do it!Ive got a 1600dp sitting here I know nothing about.It was bought for my 65 that just sits in my side yard.My 63 is my daily so I guess I have just been lazy about getting the 65 up and running good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.chopcutchop.blogspot.com
Andy
State Route

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:39 pm

At least you have a wood shed, I did a top end rebuild (rings, hone job, cleaned heads, lapped valves) in the dirt with the motor still in the buggy. Everything turned out good, for now anyway. I think the dirt and dust helped to seat the rings. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:25 am

I love it! VW engines are the bomb diggity.. a little dirt and your good to go! And here I am all p.o'd that I don't have a clean room environment with bunny suites...LOL

Last night I got the flywheel off....

Now.. for newb's .. get the little tool to hold the flywheel. It's 6 bucks at parts for imports or bugformance.. hold the fly wheel while you crank. Also will need a 36mm socket and breaker bar. I had my son stand on the case while I pushed down. Now that's redneck...hehehe

Also got the pistons off last night. Took out the clips and used a 13mm socket on an extension to get the wrist pins out. All looked good. There is still machine marks on the pistons.

Tonight.. got the engine apart.

Be careful in doing this. The case is very soft, so no prying apart in the seam, or will leak forever. I use a rubber mallet on the stud then just used my hands to work it apart.
I kept track of the lifter and marked them as well so they all go back the same way. Also marked the rods so they go back.

Well, here is the problem rod. The bearing was gone!... all black and in pieces on the bottom of the case. Made a mess of the crank as well. You can see bearing welded to the rod inside the bearing area. Glad I was not driving this motor when it went.

Using a micrometer, I check the journals. All the journals measure 2.120 except the bad one... 2.117. So this crank has been overworked. Specs are suppose to be 2.1654. They say 3rd undersized is 2.1358. So I will go on the hunt for a good used crank.. my bud might have one. Again, trying to do this cheap.

So that is all for tonight. Will do alot more on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
SactoJ
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:41 am

also for the noobs the nut on the flywheel is the same size as the rear axle nuts...good socket to have in your collection!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.chopcutchop.blogspot.com
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:21 am

Great point... yep. Also the nut on the flywheel (Gland nut).. needs to be replaced when taken off. there is the possiblilty of it breaking due to stress after being removed. I am sure some folks put it back on, but for me it's not worth it. Just buy a new one and install.
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:57 am

I can see why you were knocking... Looks like you are making some great progress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldSkoolVWLover
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:23 pm

Another possible idea for a newb, have a milk crate ready? I know it's not necessary, but seams to be the way folks tear down their own engines? I am no expert on the flat 4 air cooled VW, but just seams like the right height and spot to start breaking it down, from what my limited knowledge has shown me. Very Happy

ohh and thanks for the thread, I am pretty sure once my rabbit is done (has been all done outside to this point), this will be helpful when I start building whatever bucket air cooled I can afford.... ohhh and landon will be here to help my newb ass Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.EarlyWatercooled.org
zuhaelter_82
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:34 pm

OldSkoolVWLover wrote:

ohhh and landon will be here to help my newb ass Laughing

Yeah, I saw that coming... When you were over you say how that milk crate saved our asses. I laugh because I have a motor still sitting on a crate in the garage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:31 pm

I never ran this motor.. I am still driving my noisy machine. This motor came from my dad. He is the mass collector of stuff!
Back to top Go down
zuhaelter_82
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:02 pm

Admin wrote:
I never ran this motor.. I am still driving my noisy machine. This motor came from my dad. He is the mass collector of stuff!

Shocked Then imagine what the one in the Beetle looks like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:21 pm

I am still not 100% sure it is internal. The noise is odd and comes and goes. The motor still runs fine and is not getting any worse... so I am still thinking it might be an exhaust leak.. maybe in the heater exchange box area. I will play with it again this weekend.
Back to top Go down
OldSkoolVWLover
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:30 pm

zuhaelter_82 wrote:
OldSkoolVWLover wrote:

ohhh and landon will be here to help my newb ass Laughing

Yeah, I saw that coming... When you were over you say how that milk crate saved our asses. I laugh because I have a motor still sitting on a crate in the garage.

Werd, I've got me a milk crate around here somewhere, think it has random VW shit in it in my office closet, I need to get me a few more. Gotta love a motor that sits perfectly on a milk crate. Very Happy Damn watercooled motors don't sit right on anything, they rest kinda funny on a properly sized tire but that's about it, can't do anything productive with it on the tire really.
Back to top Go down
OldSkoolVWLover
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:35 pm

Admin wrote:
He is the mass collector of stuff!

Sounds like a phrase that could be used to describe me. I am sure some part of my wife wishes I didn't have a full closet of VW parts (plus everything in the 2 car garage). We have actually had people sitting in some MK2 seats in our living room before (ohh and that was the weekend of our wedding, where my Rabbit and my friends Rabbit were both in the back yard). I am so happy that I found somebody that can love someone like me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bahabuggin
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:33 pm

It wouild be nice to have one of the engine stands that can run the engine on before you put it back in.
Then that way you can see if it's internal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:00 am

Okay.. the weekend was not as productive as I imagined it would be, but got a lot of behind the scenes type work done.

Saturday went down to Sacto and visited Bugformance to pick up a few things I needed and then to my dad's house for a little inspection of parts and head work.
We inspected the case and found that my case was in need of another line bore, but was already down to the last. So luckily, as the collector of stuff, had another case on a shelf. This case is in good shape. Also I am fortunate that my dad has a mill in his garage. So we resurfaced the heads for a good seal and re did the exhaust bolts.

Sunday was much more productive. Cleaning .. Cleaning and more Cleaning. "I pledge to keep my new engine clean"..

Made a make shift wire wheel for cleaning parts. Got the pistons and sleeves all cleaned up.

Was trying to pull off the main gear.. but to no luck. Need a different style puller or take it in. What a pain. And I did get a new crank.. Thanks Jeff! So off to order bearings today. I am looking to be in good shape. The case is standard line bore so lot's of life left and the crank Jeff got me in only 10 under. So it should be a long lasting motor that can easily be rebuild again if need be.

Here is a close up of the valves and seats before I start to lap them. I finally ran out of energy and gave up for the night. 11 hours of cleaning and working was enough. Will finish up the heads tonight when I get home from work. And finish cleaning up case so I can get ready to put it back to gether.

Back to top Go down
Davids74Super
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:13 pm

What time were you at Bugformance? I was there at around 11am.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:04 pm

Around 2pm..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:07 pm

If you stand the crank up on its pulley end and warm up the gear with a torch, the gear should fall right off. Slipping the pulley on makes a good "crank stand"
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:54 am

Yeah.. I tried heat yesterday, but I think the crank took all the heat and expanded with the gear. No worries, got a puller today and made it work. Got the gears off and cleaned up the crank, then made a crank stand in my vise.

Cleaned all the oil passages out with a bottle cleaner. Crank is real good shape.. thanks again Jeff!

Then put on the rods and bearings. I mounted the crank to the flywheel first and stood it up. Then heated up the gears with a torch and they slid right on.
Rods spin free and looks like my axil play is in tolerance so on to the next phase.

So tomorrow after work.. finish fine cleaning the case and installing the crank to check for end play. I got lucky today.. Parts for Imports actually had all my bearings in stock and the price was good too! Those guys always seem to do me right.

Till tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:49 am

Well last night was productive. Finished cleaning the case. If you do have time and a little extra money, this is where sending the case to Napa or a machine shop to have cleaned is nice. That was a lot of work and I know I did not get it as clean as they would.

Got the bearings set, installed the crank.. everything moves good.. installed the cam... everything moves good... put the halves together... tighten slowly.. everything moves good... torque the bolt.. everything moves good... finish it up. I put the flange nut back on and just with the 36mm socket in hand turn the engine... Thing of beauty. Nice and smooth, no binding and no play.

I must have played with the main bearings for a half hour making sure they all sat on the pins right. Once I felt good about that then I moved forward. Now I am on the down hill stretch. Tonight I will work on pistons and sleeves... tomorrow heads
Back to top Go down
Bahabuggin
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:19 am

What did you use to clean the case with?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:17 pm

a special cocktail.. LOL. Mainly purple power, parts cleaner (carb cleaner) and elbo greese. Hosed it all out with a nozzle on the hose then blew it all out with the mini air compressor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA   

Back to top Go down

Redneck Rebuild... YEEE HAAAA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next