Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Correct Tire Size

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
coxnikkys

PostSubject: Correct Tire Size   Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:25 pm

OK, so I know now that I gotta get smaller tires for the front on my 73 super beetle, but what is the correct size that I need? Right now the car has 205/65R15's all the way around.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/coxnikkys
justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: Correct Tire Size   Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:44 pm

I'm sure Breck probably knows, as he has a SB. But, I read in the owners manual that the correct tire size and preasure is located on a sticker on the glove box door! Does yours still have one?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: Correct Tire Size   Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:16 am

I think the real size is still 165/15. 560/15 bias ply size. I know you can use some other sizes. If there is not enough info here on this site do a search on the samba.com in the wheel and tire thread. Last time I was at Les Schawb you could still get them there or order them. Bugformance Sacramento also had the most common sizes in stock. 165/15 or 145/15 and 135/15. and it should say in your glove box what sizes to use. Like everything else in VW. life there not as cheap as in the olden days. last I looked $80 to $100 is the price now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugman66

PostSubject: Re: Correct Tire Size   Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:41 am

$80/$100 is cheap these days. If you leave the 205s on the rear, be sure to make the percentage calculation for correcting the reading of your speedometer/odometer so you know your actual speed and distance. The larger circumference of the 205 tire will make your speedo/odo read "slow". Hence, you will actually be going faster and further than the reading on the dial.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugman66

PostSubject: Re: Correct Tire Size   Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:14 pm

What a dummy I am. I should never post any tech stuff until the afternoon. My mind doesn't work well in the morning. I have been working on too many Subies and Chevys.

The VW speedo/odo runs off the front non-driven wheels. Therefore, by shifting to the correct size tire on the front, you will be correcting the speedo/odo to read properly. You can always compare it with a mileage check along the freeway. Sorry for the mental lapse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coxnikkys

PostSubject: Re: Correct Tire Size   Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Okay, u r so not the only dummy. I actually didnt pay attention I guess cuz when I double checked 2day I noticed that the front tires on it now r 165 SR15's. But from what everyone has told me, thats pretty much the right size, right???? Of course, even tho I've had the car running on several occasions, I've not actually driven it cuz it has no taillights and the reg is 2 yrs out so I definitely dont wanna get it towed. But the guy I bought it from swore that the tires rubbed so bad that there was smoke comin from em. But he also said that it is still stock height & has NOT been lowered. So, I'm beginning 2 think he's a dumbass & don't know what the hell he's talkin bout, right. LMFAO Smile

I guess it's time 2 just have a real VW enthusiast that DOES know what they r doing 2 take a quick look. So if anyone is in the Rio Linda area & can help me out, let me know, please. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/coxnikkys
Breck

PostSubject: Re: Correct Tire Size   Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Nicholle, when you say that your bug has no tail lights, do you mean that they do not work or do you mean that you have NO tail lights? Meaning no tail light assemblies. If you are missing the assemblies check out your welcome thread. I posted a response to who has some for sale. I do not live far from you and if you need the help let me know and I will cruise by and lend a hand. Once you get this baby on the road you can come to tech days and get it sorted. Also there are some tricks for saving money on dealing with old out of date car reg. Breck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: Correct Tire Size   Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Nikky, If the picture in your avitar is the car in question then those are american slotted alumium mags or some sort of copy. The offset is most likely wrong for your car. Are they a four lug rim? They should be a four lug rim. If they are a five lug then the problem gets worse. Not only is the offset of the rim incorrect but the added four to five lug conversion is moving the rim to the outside of the car. If I had a larger picture I could tell for sure. You will most likely need to put some stock rims on up front and the problem will be gone. I have sent you a pm. Please call me when you can. Breck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff67Sqbk

PostSubject: Re: Correct Tire Size   Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:39 pm

I wanted stockish sized tires (and cheap too) for my 6-person pedal cycle that uses a '67 bug front beam with stock wheels. I found that tireRack.com carries the Nexen brand 165/80/15 tire for $68 apiece.

Wanting to shop local (and with cash) I called Plaza Tire in Nevada City. They obtained the same tire for just under the TireRack price. Although I didn't need them balanced, Plaze does have the proper adapter to balance the wide-five wheels.

http://i70.servimg.com/u/f70/17/68/88/62/imgp3111.jpg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Correct Tire Size   

Back to top Go down

Correct Tire Size
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1