Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Surfboards and VW's Let's see yours!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
justcruzin

PostSubject: Surfboards and VW's Let's see yours!   Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:54 pm

I put this on the Samba but I figured I would put it here too to catch anyone that isn't on the Samba or only goes to particular areas of it. I would like to see and hear about your surfboards mounted to your VW. What ever VW you have.

I am just getting started in carrying surfboards on my VW's and am looking for a good mounting system. I am mainly going to carry them for displays, but do want to try my hand at paddle boarding, so eventually will be carrying my newly acquired board on my bus or my bug. Here are a couple pics of my VW's and my boards!

That dirty one at the far right is my first board I bought. I bought it down the street at a yard sale. We didn't have room in the car so I ended up walking it home. Kept asking the neighbors if they new where the ocean was? LOL

Same boards against my 64.

Bought this windsurf board at a swap meet for 5 bucks! Just the board, it is missing everything from sail to fins, but for 5 bucks I could easily make it a paddle board.

One of the boards just sitting on my bug. Still need to figure out brackets or straps to hold it on.

My newest board. Another windsurf board. This one has it's middle retractable fin, but is missing the other rear fin. This one will be my learner board as it is 11' long and about 2'3" wide.

Here it is on my bus rack. Again, I still need to figure out how to strap it down. I read in one of my searches about Dakine straps. I'm going to go look for some of those tomorrow.

Another thing, how do you carry your board? Fins forward (at front of car) or fins backward (at back of car)? I read somewhere from a true surfer said the correct way to carry a board is fins forward.

Let's see what you have!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
west coast ghia
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Surfboards and VW's Let's see yours!   Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:39 am

nice.

next..........
1962 11 window bus (nameless)
http://www.norcalvdubs.com/t1467p15-1962-11-window-split

Lonny
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lonnyatforyourride
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Surfboards and VW's Let's see yours!   Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:18 am

Everyone knows it's fins back if you are from Orange County and fins front if you're from anywhere else... LOL What a Face Now there is a flashback!

Nose forward and down - the board will act like an airfoil, which will create lift - trying to remove surfboard from roof of car, and create drag - increasing fuel consumption. The fins will act just as they do in the water, creating lift - and drag - if they achieve an angle of attack due to swirling vortexes created by the car itself or by engaging in high speed cornering.

Nose rearward and down - the board is pure profile (parasite) drag creating no lift. The fins are not foiled in this orientation and cannot create and lift but will contribute to profile drag as well.

Nose forward and up - dumbass.

Nose rearward and up - see above, but not quite so much.

OH, wax down is another common thought for obvious reasons. No need to have Mr. Zogs melting all down the sides of your car.

Just my 2 cents from soaking off the OC coast for 10 years of my youth on a Infinity 6'6" tri-fin squash-tail thruster with fatty rails... <sniff> God speed my friend, I miss you...

- '69 Karmann Ghia Coupe - May(hem) - "WIKED KG" Super Street
- '69 Drag Ghia - Kay(os) -"Wicked Sister"
- Still looking for a low light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blujay Bug
State Route

PostSubject: Re: Surfboards and VW's Let's see yours!   Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 am

Back in the early 80's I had a 70 bay window bus. I was living in San Diego and my friend surfed. We would put her surfboard on top of the bus with this strap thing that had round soft rollers on it. It had clips on it to clip to the rails on top of the bus. You could just take it off and throw it inside when not in use. Easy on, easy off. Check the surf shops, can't think of any in Sacto tho.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Surfboards and VW's Let's see yours!   Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:48 am

We used to by Malibu surf racks at the grocery store in Huntington for 10 bucks.

Now a set of authentic Malibu racks goes for big money online. If we only knew...

- '69 Karmann Ghia Coupe - May(hem) - "WIKED KG" Super Street
- '69 Drag Ghia - Kay(os) -"Wicked Sister"
- Still looking for a low light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: Surfboards and VW's Let's see yours!   Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:53 pm

Mateo wrote:
Everyone knows it's fins back if you are from Orange County and fins front if you're from anywhere else... LOL What a Face Now there is a flashback!

Nose forward and down - the board will act like an airfoil, which will create lift - trying to remove surfboard from roof of car, and create drag - increasing fuel consumption. The fins will act just as they do in the water, creating lift - and drag - if they achieve an angle of attack due to swirling vortexes created by the car itself or by engaging in high speed cornering.

Nose rearward and down - the board is pure profile (parasite) drag creating no lift. The fins are not foiled in this orientation and cannot create and lift but will contribute to profile drag as well.

Nose forward and up - dumbass.

Nose rearward and up - see above, but not quite so much.

OH, wax down is another common thought for obvious reasons. No need to have Mr. Zogs melting all down the sides of your car.

Just my 2 cents from soaking off the OC coast for 10 years of my youth on a Infinity 6'6" tri-fin squash-tail thruster with fatty rails... <sniff> God speed my friend, I miss you...

Ok, so the board in the picture in the first post is on correct (even though there are no fins).

I put this smaller board on today to test my strapping ability! LOL This one is actually one wrong because the nose is in the front, right? I put it on like this because for one I thought it looked kind of cool with the nose hanging down in front and also because I figured there were no fins. I also figured I could tie to the the mount where the sail attaches in the front, to help keep the board on. Now looking at it, if the nose was in the back, the way I tied to the sail mount would have made it to where the board would be pulled toward the front, which would counter act the force of the wind pushing it back. Did that make since? LOL You can kind of see the straps that I am talking about at the very front under the board. I figured if the straps holding it down side to side got loose, the board would only go back as far as that strap on the front would allow it too.

I will probably be turning it around tomorrow. Hubby found me some pool noodles to use as cushions on the rack. I will filp the board around when I go to put it back on to see what it looks like the "correct" way. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surfboards and VW's Let's see yours!   

Back to top Go down

Surfboards and VW's Let's see yours!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1