Norcal Vdubs

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Anyone in or around Citrus Heights care to lend a hand?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Anyone in or around Citrus Heights care to lend a hand?   Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:17 pm

If someone wouldn't mind lending me an oil pressure tester for a quick test i would greatly appreciate it. I have to work this afternoon so the earlier the better! I am located off of Antelope road about a half mile off I-80. If I need to get a ride to come pick it up that can be arranged too.
You see my attempts to get Abby back on the road have been met head on by brick wall after brick wall. I have an extremely limited budget so I had to settle for used parts and trusting the word of fellow V-dubbers. Unfortunately that doesn't always work out so I have been struggling with getting my daily driver back in action. Anyway, I have the motor in the car now and it starts and runs well, however my oil pressure light comes on at startup and refuses to shut off. I have checked the wiring, and the trans to body ground and it's all good. I am about to go check the relief valve and control valve, then if necessary pull the pump plate off and check in to that. Otherwise I have to assume the internal bearings are worn and the dude that sold me the block was full of it. I could really use an oil pressure tester so I can confirm or eliminate the issue of excessive internal wear. Please give me a call if you can help me out. thanks Dubbers!!! 916-949-3748
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in or around Citrus Heights care to lend a hand?   Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:35 pm

You can pull the oil pressure sensor, pull the coil wire off the dizzy, and then crank the motor over a few times.

Might want to put a towel there. If you get oil pumping out of the hole where the sensor goes in the block you can feel pretty confident that you have oil pressure.

Might be a air gap from the motor build.

Might be a clogged sensor or bad altogether...

- '69 Karmann Ghia Coupe - May(hem) - "WIKED KG" Super Street
- '69 Drag Ghia - Kay(os) -"Wicked Sister"
- Still looking for a low light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in or around Citrus Heights care to lend a hand?   Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for the thoughts Mateo, I'm pretty certain the sensors fine. I have 2 and they both react the same. however I just pulled the oil pressure relief valve and the plunger would not come out of the block. so I fashioned together a lil puller tool by taping a piece of a magnet to the end of an allen wrench! Very Happy after about 3 minutes of light pulling and pushing, and rotating left to right, reluctantly it dropped out. Now if the plunger was stuck open wouldn't that cause the motor to not build pressure?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in or around Citrus Heights care to lend a hand?   Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:23 pm

I am not sure that it would.

The pressure relief valve allows cold oil to bypass the cooler...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in or around Citrus Heights care to lend a hand?   Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:18 pm

removed and reinstalled both the relief and control valve, still no fix. so i removed the sensor started the motor and shut it off real quick and even with a towel in front of it theres oil every where. now i'm starting to think maybe some how i hooked the sensor wire to the wrong terminal on the power block??? i cant find a diagram for it though. anyone know if the power block in the engine compartment, on the firewall was a factory installation?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in or around Citrus Heights care to lend a hand?   Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:44 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_71.jpg

Heres one from the Samba there are others. I dont remember a fuse panel on the firewall of my 71 but no telling what someone may have added .
You can test the circuit by grounding the wire to the oil psi light and it should come on. Remove it from the sender it goes out. So a NC. (normally closed) switch and oil psi opens the circuit and turns the light off. I just tested it on my 67 and that test works fine.

Last edited by low67vdubinnocal on Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in or around Citrus Heights care to lend a hand?   Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:13 pm

LuvnVdubn wrote:
removed and reinstalled both the relief and control valve, still no fix. so i removed the sensor started the motor and shut it off real quick and even with a towel in front of it theres oil every where. now i'm starting to think maybe some how i hooked the sensor wire to the wrong terminal on the power block??? i cant find a diagram for it though. anyone know if the power block in the engine compartment, on the firewall was a factory installation?

That would be the part about removing the coil wire so the engine wouldn't fire. You just needed the oil pump to turn over a few times with the starter.

Anyways, the oil pressure sensor wire should go from the sensor to the light up front. I don't think a wiring block in the engine bay is stock on any air cooled vw. But you should be able to trace it fairly easily. Light to terminal block, terminal block to sensor...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in or around Citrus Heights care to lend a hand?   

Back to top Go down

Anyone in or around Citrus Heights care to lend a hand?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1