HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

New (again) as a Bug Owner!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Bugman66

PostSubject: Re: New (again) as a Bug Owner!   Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:33 pm

I would drain the gas tank and start over with fresh gas. VWs have relatively small gas tanks. A full bottle of whatever additive could be a problem.

Understand also that when Mat and I talk about 30-32 degrees of advance, it is TOTAL advance. To measure TOTAL advance, you need to increase the RPMs until the mechanical advance in the distributor has fully come in. Most of the Bosch distributors have about 20 degrees (or less) of potential mechanical advance. Hence, if you are using your strobe light at an idle speed, the initial advance will be around 10 degrees. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New (again) as a Bug Owner!   Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Oh what he said, good point!!!

Forgot about setting the advance while the motor revs to about 3K.

- '69 Karmann Ghia Coupe - May(hem) - "WIKED KG" Super Street
- '69 Drag Ghia - Kay(os) -"Wicked Sister"
- Still looking for a low light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drugsnrockets

PostSubject: Re: New (again) as a Bug Owner!   Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:05 am

Timing - am setting the timing w/ the strobe w/ the engine at 3000RPM (I read that somewhere Smile )

Was thinking a couple things - new fuel line, feed gas from gas can to fuel pump inlet (isolate the gas tank and line from front to back) - if it runs in this config, problem identified (i.e., clean the tank replace the fuel line) - if it doesn't then fuel pump! Also, remove the fuel filters (temporarily) and see what happens (I'll probably do that first, in fact). New fuel line anyway and place the filter(s) in a less conflagration-prone location.

Had a bug-moment - my daughter (12 years old) had to help me push the car back to my driveway! It was so nostalgic!

Thank you Bugman and Mateo!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drugsnrockets

PostSubject: Re: New (again) as a Bug Owner!   Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:36 pm

Removed one fuel filter (disposal kind) and cleaned/reinstalled the other. It is on the downstream side (outlet) of the fuel pump - looks like the carbs are starved for fuel, basedon hi revs and an empty fuel filter. Implies the fuel pump is . . . unworthy of dual carbs?

Easy to remove, from what I can see - two nuts holding the pump to the case. Rod or piston extends into the case from the pump (I'm guessing) to activate a diaphragm in the pump. Any tricks/techniques to removing/replacing the fuel pump? What do I look for once I have it off?

My continued humility . . .

Pat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drugsnrockets

PostSubject: Re: New (again) as a Bug Owner!   Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Many moons later . . .

After removing, cleaning, re-installing the right-side carb, it started right up and is firing on all four cylinders! woo-hoo!!!

Gee, should I do the same to the other carb? Well, a friend suggested fuel system cleaner for a few tank-fulls. Might do the same thing with fewer scraped knuckles. Any thoughts?

Now for the brake problem.

One: Ghia discs on the front - pads are rubbing (both sides) - is this a concern or a nuisance? Pulled the left-side caliper and pulled the pads out - re-installed the caliper and no rubbing - re-installed the pads - rubbing. That's why I figure the pads are rubbing. Any thoughts?

Two: Ghia discs on the front (I see a theme) - stock bug wheel rubs on the disc caliper on the left side only - Dad 'fixed' this by putting a fender washer behind each of the four lugs - not my kind of permanent fix. Any thoughts?

And thanks to everyone's suggestions concerning the three-cylinder conundrum - SO fun to hunt and peck until you solve the problem!!

DnR
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drugsnrockets

PostSubject: Re: New (again) as a Bug Owner!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:22 am

THANKS! It's running! AND, every time I turn the key in the ignition, it starts! Now, an appointment at the DMV and a call to the insurance company and I'm on the road!

Thanks to all that helped with suggestions - it's been fun (and will continue to be) getting reacquainted with the engine-uity of those VW designers.

See you on the road!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New (again) as a Bug Owner!   

Back to top Go down

New (again) as a Bug Owner!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3