Norcal Vdubs

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What should I look for when buying a used motor?!?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: What should I look for when buying a used motor?!?!   Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Whats up guys! I am in the market for a Long Block or complete 1600dp motor since I blew mine a couple weeks ago. If I was going to get one from a fellow NorCalVdubber than I wouldn't be too worried about getting ripped off. However I found a guy on Craigslist that has what he says is not so pretty but running motor. I could careless about how dirty it is. I just can't afford to spend what little money I have on another boat anchor!

Whats the most important things to check when I go check out this or any other motor? I mean, I have plenty of knowledge in cars and motors, sh-t I graduated from WyoTech, but I figure it never hurts to ask the OG V-Dubbers their opinions! No schooling can give you the knowledge of experience, ya know!!! I already told the guy I will be pulling the heads to check for cracks before I hand over any $$.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What should I look for when buying a used motor?!?!   Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:24 am

Leak down test / compression check.

Excessive end play.

Turn the motor over in both directions and feel for any kind of play.

Signs of extreme heat.

Oil leaks.

I dunno, some thoughts...

- '69 Karmann Ghia Coupe - May(hem) - "WIKED KG" Super Street
- '69 Drag Ghia - Kay(os) -"Wicked Sister"
- Still looking for a low light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
west coast ghia
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: What should I look for when buying a used motor?!?!   Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:58 am

run and in a car

next..........
1962 11 window bus (nameless)
http://www.norcalvdubs.com/t1467p15-1962-11-window-split

Lonny
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/lonnyatforyourride
LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Re: What should I look for when buying a used motor?!?!   Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:09 am

is it possible to do a compression test on a motor thats not in a car?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheAmazingDave

PostSubject: Re: What should I look for when buying a used motor?!?!   Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Not easily... If you can turn it fast enough by hand, then yes.

You can do a simple compression check by hand, just turn the motor with the plugs in and you can get a decent idea if the rings are sealing or not. Turn it over a few times to make sure each cylinder "feels" equal in compression. You can easily feel a dead cylinder versus a good/decent cylinder, and often enough, a worn engine's cold compression will always improve once warm, so an accurate compression check on a cold engine isn't even really possible. Generally, though, you need the starter to spin the crank fast enough; people take dead transmissions and cut off the back of the case, leaving only the bell housing so a starter can be mounted. If you can get ahold of a grinding wheel and an old tranny, it may be worth making a "test bench" for this type of work.

Check the dipstick for oil, and if it has oil hold the stick under light to look for metal flakes.

Make sure all of the holes/vents into the case have been covered, especially if it's dry of oil. The innards can corrode pretty quickly if moisture gets in there.

Check for lateral play at both ends of the crank, as well as forward/aft play. If you can feel movement, bearings are bad.

If the plugs are still in it, pull them and read them, see if it's been burning too lean or rich. If it's been running lean, overheats and/or excessive cylinder/piston wear may have occured.

Otherwise, just the basics. When was the engine last ran?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: What should I look for when buying a used motor?!?!   Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Um, I think this is further than he's willing to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lovebugfans.com/
low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: What should I look for when buying a used motor?!?!   Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:17 pm

It is a crap shoot. Outside of having an engine stand and testing it's going to be hard to know for sure. Id use my portable break in stand bring a starter battery and fuel supply and just run it first. If you dont have any of that do what was mentioned above and still treat it as your just getting a buildable core.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What should I look for when buying a used motor?!?!   

Back to top Go down

What should I look for when buying a used motor?!?!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1