Norcal Vdubs

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Abby had a catostrophic failure! Lord why did you have to take her heart so soon!?!?**UPDATE***PICS***

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Abby had a catostrophic failure! Lord why did you have to take her heart so soon!?!?**UPDATE***PICS***   Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:00 pm

We were just cruzin down the freeway yesterday, she was running great! As I began to get off the freeway her oil light came on, so I threw her in nuetral and coasted to the light at the end of the off ramp. I planned on just stopping at the light and making a right then pulling over. Well she died befor the light and that was it..... Seems that one of the oil strainer bolts backed itself out and she bled out real quick! She's locked up tight! Gonna pull her motor and tear it down tomorrow, see how melted the rings really are! Such a fricken bummer maaaaan! If anyone has any parts laying around that will help me get Abby back on the road please feel free to let me know. $$$ is sooooo tight right now but she's got to get back on the road soon!

********update********
Well after pulling Abby's motor and tearing it down I'm afraid it's much worse then I was anticipating.... Sad You see, when the motor was in the car and you tried to turn it over it would turn real low and make a screeching sound, Almost like nails on the chalk board. I figured a piston ring or 2 melted so the pistons and cylinders would need replacing and maybe I could save the internals. Well as you can see in my pics, the pistons and rings are actually in decent shape. After I got the cylinders off I attempted to turn the crank and it was still almost impossible and still had the sad, sad screech!!! Oh and 1 of my heads has 2 very distinct cracks!!!! So she's a total loss... No Now I need to collect some cash and find someone with at least a long block!

I had to get Abby REALLY HIGH, for her procedure Wink

Here's her motor, ya know I knew this poor car had been neglected when I bought it. However, I had no idea the extent of the neglect. There's plenty of evidence proving the last owner was no V-Dubber. Just a Douche' that drove the piss out of her...

I mean, look at the caked on greese and grime! I swear it's a quarter inch thick! Gross! Unnecessary!!!!!

Any one want to guess what side has the cracks in the head?!!!?? Daaaaaaaaaamnit!!!!!!

With a lil cleaning these pistons are in great shape, even the rings are in good shape!
I've yet to crack the case open but will post pics when I do!

Last edited by LuvnVdubn on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheAmazingDave

PostSubject: Re: Abby had a catostrophic failure! Lord why did you have to take her heart so soon!?!?**UPDATE***PICS***   Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:20 am

Hope it's just your rings, but it may be worse. The engine that came in our SB was locked up solid. Conrod #4 starved for oil at the crank and fused solid. The whole engine's toast at this point. We ended up buying a replacement from CL for $400, I figured it would be cheaper than replacing the crank, rods, pistons, cylinders, and having the crankcase checked....

Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheAmazingDave

PostSubject: Re: Abby had a catostrophic failure! Lord why did you have to take her heart so soon!?!?**UPDATE***PICS***   Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:30 am

Regarding the pics...

That's what my "new" engine looked like... lol

I scrubbed it clean with Simple Green and a modified tooth brush. Took two days....

Also, you can get new pistons and cyls on the cheap. I wouldn't bother re-using your old stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Abby had a catostrophic failure! Lord why did you have to take her heart so soon!?!?**UPDATE***PICS***   Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:19 pm

What's the crank look like?

If the crank's journals aren't all jacked up and the case looks good inside you might not be it too bad of shape.

I bet the cam and cam gears are fine. Check the lobes and see if they have flattened out.

Might be able to get away with just changing the bearings out all the way around.

The pistons look descent, just change the rings even though they look to be in good shape.

How's the inside of the Cs? Any deep ruts, might be able to get away with just getting them honed.

- '69 Karmann Ghia Coupe - May(hem) - "WIKED KG" Super Street
- '69 Drag Ghia - Kay(os) -"Wicked Sister"
- Still looking for a low light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: Abby had a catostrophic failure! Lord why did you have to take her heart so soon!?!?**UPDATE***PICS***   Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:51 pm

What was the outcome on this engine or did it get torn down that far yet ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Re: Abby had a catostrophic failure! Lord why did you have to take her heart so soon!?!?**UPDATE***PICS***   Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:42 am

So final diag of frozen motor was 2 roasted rod bearings and frozen mains! Lets not forget the cracked head and bent push rod as well! LOL It's all good now though! I'm swooping up a good running motor tuesday!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheAmazingDave

PostSubject: Re: Abby had a catostrophic failure! Lord why did you have to take her heart so soon!?!?**UPDATE***PICS***   Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:58 am

Dude! That sucks! Glad you found a replacement! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abby had a catostrophic failure! Lord why did you have to take her heart so soon!?!?**UPDATE***PICS***   

Back to top Go down

Abby had a catostrophic failure! Lord why did you have to take her heart so soon!?!?**UPDATE***PICS***
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1