Norcal Vdubs

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Anyone replace a Voltage Regulator before?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amishman
State Route

PostSubject: Anyone replace a Voltage Regulator before?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:40 pm

My 1973 Thing had both generator and dash brake light come on yesterday and will not go off. Doing some googling I see the engine bay voltage regultor could be the culprit.

Anyone replace one of these before? Not sure if different on a bus or bug versus a Thing but I do know the Things regulator is in my engine bay.

Other than unplug battery, and special things I need to do for a swap? Want to make sure I do it right and not zap it or me in the process. 8-)

TJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vwhippie.com
TheAmazingDave

PostSubject: Re: Anyone replace a Voltage Regulator before?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:32 pm

I had a voltage regulator go out on my 71 SB. It ran like crap and the generator light came on. It's located under the rear seat in a Beetle, and took a few minutes to change. Luckily, a spare came with the car.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
low67vdubinnocal

PostSubject: Re: Anyone replace a Voltage Regulator before?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:09 pm

You need to test both the generator and regulator and the rest of the charging system . Heres a samba thread in the 68 and later bug section with a few testing methods to rule out one or the other. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502944&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=generator+testing Let me edit that a little providing you still have a generator and it has not been replaced with an alternator.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone replace a Voltage Regulator before?   

Back to top Go down

Anyone replace a Voltage Regulator before?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1