HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Tragic Failure!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Breck

PostSubject: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:32 am

Hey All, I decided for some stupid reason that I would start my Sunday off by working four hours in the heat, in my back yard weedwacking. Then I would set up the super in the garage and install the front lowering struts. Not a good idea thinking back!! I started with the left front, following the haynes manual letter by letter. Removal of the strut, piece of cake. Spring compressors on, spring compressed. Next take your 22mil offset box end wrench and........wait my what??? Hmmm I dont have a 22mil offset box end wrench!! And here is the pisser, I have been reading these steps for days in anticipation of the parts coming for days and never noticed that I do not own this tool!! So off to the parts store to buy the tool. Get back, get to it and find that the new wrench has to much meat around the box end to fit into the area that it needs to fit. Hmmmm...what to do? The wrench will fit on about 75% of the way, cocked at an angle. No way its gonna work, will strip it for sure. So off to the grinder to make custom bug tool!! Now we are cooking!! Wrench fits!!! Place wrench on the nut, allen key in the top of the shaft and herf on it.. Nothing moves, but now the allen key fits loosly. So I take a look at the end of the shaft and it split!!! There is only 1/4" of exposed threads above the the retaining nut. It split the full 1/4" straight up in line with the shaft!!!!!!! GAME OVER MAN!!! I do not have the tools and also had run out of time. Needing to drive the car to work today I bailed on it. Put it back together to live another day. Sooo what did I learn this weekend...1) Pay attention to what your are reading. I know every tool I own and new that I did not own any offset box end wrenchs. 2) Dont weedwhack for 4.5 hours b4 starting project that requires strength. I am old and fat!!. And last dont start a complicated project on a car you need to drive late in the day on Sunday!!!! Anyone got a clue on how I can get the nut off the stut now????? Breck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Anyone?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Submarine Driver

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:35 pm

When I work on suspension components like that I use my impact and it takes off fasteners like that with ease. Typically it's too hard to keep the shaft from spinning with a small allenwrench when you have a huge wrench creating a huge torque difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:01 pm

I cannot use an impact wrench with a socket...blocks the allen key. and now the allen key hole is split out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:06 pm

No idea what this part is, but I do offer sympathy on not having the time strength, and running into difficulties. Why can't it ever go well?

Lowering is done to death.
Let the Super BE a Super. Add to its looks with a set of trim rings to offset the black wheels.
Finish by popping the windows out and putting in the correct deluxe trim.

I suppose you DO already have the struts.... You may have no choice other than to bust that thing and then dig it out, or take it somewhere and pay the price.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lovebugfans.com/
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:09 pm

...and it's never a failure if you tried your best.
Back to top Go down
Breck

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:23 pm

I feel so much better now......not!!! Lol I am used to being tested when working on vehicles...it gives the brain something to do!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Jim Douglas Jr wrote:
No idea what this part is, but I do offer sympathy on not having the time strength, and running into difficulties. Why can't it ever go well?

Lowering is done to death.
Let the Super BE a Super. Add to its looks with a set of trim rings to offset the black wheels.
Finish by popping the windows out and putting in the correct deluxe trim.

I suppose you DO already have the struts.... You may have no choice other than to bust that thing and then dig it out, or take it somewhere and pay the price.
I had to go back and re-read it and I'll be damned but, I didn't see anywhere in his post where he was asking for opinions on if he should lower his car or not....... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mateo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:32 pm

Can you get an air grinder or cutoff wheel in there?

I have had to CAREFULLY cut nuts in half to get them off of things in the past.

You have to be clear on what needs to be saved and what can take damage.

Think about it before you go in and start cutting the nut, have a plan...

- '69 Karmann Ghia Coupe - May(hem) - "WIKED KG" Super Street
- '69 Drag Ghia - Kay(os) -"Wicked Sister"
- Still looking for a low light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks Matt but there is no room without trashing the mount. The mounts are 50 bux each and out of stock everywhere I have checked. The spring plate under the mount is unobtainium as far as I can tell. Used parts only. Looks like I will need to compress the spring and hold the shaft in between the spring loops. Just do not know what to use as of yet. There will not be alot of room once the spring is compresed. I might have to weld something to the shaft prior..

Super Beetle for superior handling...ie lower c/g for better performance. Ie lower=faster in turns!!!!! My bad ass bug... my choice. Gonna do some autocross one day!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:11 pm

Sister Mary Fingerpointer says "If Jesus wanted you to do this, it would have been easy."
Back to top Go down
Breck

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 pm

LOL I am pretty sure that Jesus has enough on his plate to not care about lowering the front of a non clasic 73 super beetle....and if he does not, that explains alot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badfishie
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:36 pm

sorry Breck I dont have an answer for you. I might if I saw what you were doing, so if you havent fixed it bring it to tech day at Kims and let us all think about it together....we may...MAY have a complete brain cell all together LOL JK dont get all offended anyone...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Jim Douglas Jr wrote:

Sister Mary Fingerpointer says "If Jesus wanted you to do this, it would have been easy."
Dude, drop it already!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeinch

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:27 pm

I think I may be able to help. If you can snap a pic and show me what this part is I may be able to help. I am going to see if I have a repair manual for a super and see if I can tell what part you are talking avbout.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:32 pm

badfishie wrote:
sorry Breck I dont have an answer for you. I might if I saw what you were doing, so if you havent fixed it bring it to tech day at Kims and let us all think about it together....we may...MAY have a complete brain cell all together LOL JK dont get all offended anyone...

That and we have an impact wrench, or a saws all! LOL Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:02 am

Mike, Its the top of the strut where the big nut is which holds the spring plate in place. I will take a picture tomorrow. Andy, if I dont figure it out you will deffently see it a tech day!!! Kim the saws all my be the answer!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:11 am

Chris has the right idea. I'm surprised Mr Schwab hasn't said the same. Compress the spring hit the nut with air gun not rachet but be careful! Depends what kind of spring compressor u have it may slide off. NOT GOOD! If the shaft still spins ......Chanel locks or vise grips work good. The air gun should have the torque n speed to buzz the nut off or snap the end of the shaft off. Either way the shaft is part of the new strut so not needed. As a matter of fact I would think u need shorter springs to lower it not just new struts. The springs r where most of the cars weight sits???? In that case it should be pull the old strut assembly install new. Quite simple. Maybe have to put the new spring n strut together but again ....air gun Twisted Evil

Call the shop Tues - Fri 8:30-5 at:  530-477-2582
Text me at:  530-613-7192

AIR COOLED FOR LIFE!!!!! Twisted Evil

1972 BODY & PAN FOR SALE (PAN NEEDS BOTH PAN HALVES REPLACED, SOLID BAJA BODY, WILLING TO SEPERATE) $600 OBO (PAID $750)
1970 PAN FOR SALE (WAS A FULL SIZED BUGGY THAT BURNT.  HAS NEW BRAKE HARD LINE MASTER BACK & REAR FLEX LINES, & NEW CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS/BOLTS NOT INSTALLED) $300 OBO PAID $350

NEED A TOW??
RENT ME & MY 91 DODGE DIESEL, TOWBAR, OR FLATBED CAR TRAILER FOR ONLY $1.00 A MILE!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
Breck

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks Cliff, I believe we are on the right path, my compressor does not have the psi to make it happen. The lowering springs are optional I will be using them, however the spring plate is not purchasable. You have to use the old ones so the nut must come off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Blast it with PB blaster or some kind of penetrating oil, too. Couldn't hurt.
Back to top Go down
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Jim Douglas Jr wrote:
Blast it with PB blaster or some kind of penetrating oil, too. Couldn't hurt.

lol! affraid YOU AND YOUR PENETRATING OIL!!!! affraid lol!

Call the shop Tues - Fri 8:30-5 at:  530-477-2582
Text me at:  530-613-7192

AIR COOLED FOR LIFE!!!!! Twisted Evil

1972 BODY & PAN FOR SALE (PAN NEEDS BOTH PAN HALVES REPLACED, SOLID BAJA BODY, WILLING TO SEPERATE) $600 OBO (PAID $750)
1970 PAN FOR SALE (WAS A FULL SIZED BUGGY THAT BURNT.  HAS NEW BRAKE HARD LINE MASTER BACK & REAR FLEX LINES, & NEW CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS/BOLTS NOT INSTALLED) $300 OBO PAID $350

NEED A TOW??
RENT ME & MY 91 DODGE DIESEL, TOWBAR, OR FLATBED CAR TRAILER FOR ONLY $1.00 A MILE!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
justcruzin

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:12 pm

Our compressor is strong enough and I believe we have a spring compressor. So if you don't get it done by tech day, bring over and you can do it here. I will try to reserve the lift for you if you want to do it here! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:03 am

Thank you Kim that sounds like a plan. Springs should be here any day and I will be ready to go!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glmel

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:31 am

i like taking mine to the shop nd paying someone else to be pissed..stimulates the economy as well...drink a beer, wait, relax. as well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:47 am

glmel wrote:
i like taking mine to the shop nd paying someone else to be pissed..stimulates the economy as well...drink a beer, wait, relax. as well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
It is broke, super beetle shimmy. Struts need replacing. Original struts on 90k miles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tragic Failure!!!   

Back to top Go down

Tragic Failure!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next