Norcal Vdubs

Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:    Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:56 am

Soooooo I bought this 71 standard like 4 days ago, she ran pretty strong and had NO starting, idling, or driving issues. Today I fired her up, let her warm up, and went on my way. She accelerated fine, however as soon as the motor dropped to idle it died. I figured she just wasn't warm yet and once I get off the freeway it should be fine. Well it was, I got off the freeway and continued to run errands all morning, stopping and going, turning her off and back on, she ran great. Then I came home.

a few hours later I fired her up let her warm up a bit and took off, again drove fine accel fine, come to idle car dies. All the way to the freeway again. This time I drive from antelope and 80 to West Sac, just cruzin!! as I got off the freeway threw the clutch in car decels to idle aaaaaand dies! Continues to do this all the way to my buddies house where I spent hours going over all the forums, all the postings about the same type of issues trying EVERYTHING people had to say, some stuff made it seem better some stuff made it worse, ultimately at the end of the day, car fires right up, accels like a beast, cruz' hella chill, decels to idle DIES!!!
No, I haven't taken it off and cleaned it, or rebuilt it yet, I just now got home and really don't have time it in the morning but I guess I'm going to have to. Unless someone has an Idea of what I may be doing wrong!

I wish I had the cash to just upgrade carbs, but I have to work with what I have for now! ANYBODY know what to do? I'm sure I will get some of the same ideas that I read and have tried already, but throw me anything you got! PLEASE! LOLOL

Anyone in or around Citrus Heights that may be willing to check it out in the morning, just let me know! I'm getting pretty good at left foot braking so I can come to you!! LOLOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davids74Super
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:    Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:18 am

Make sure the connections for the electric choke and idle cut off valve are clean and hooked up properly. I learned from experience months ago, and just this past weekend my brother's Bug had the same isue you're describing. The hot wire to the idle cut off valve had come loose. Hooked it back up, problem solved.

http://www.vw-resource.com/jets.html#idle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Re: About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:    Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:57 am

Yeah the 2 connections you described are both clean, I also tested the idle shut off valve by pulling the connector off, then turning on the ignition and reattaching the wire to the shut off valve and there was a very distinct click. From what i understand that supports the idea of a properly working valve.

Do you know how to test the auto choke for proper operation?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
euphgirl
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:    Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:54 am

I have a 30 pict 3 and mine does the same after cold starts in the am. I literally have to let my car arm up for 5 min in the am and we still chug to the freeway. After 15 min of driving we are good. If I let the car sit for more than 4 hours same thing...warm up, falling flat etc. mine has been adjusted and everything, but it comes down to me having to replace mine or rebuild it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:    Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:24 am

You are discribing the same problem that I had for a month. It was the low idle pilot jet on the left side of the carburator. It plugs with crap and then no idle. If it turns out to be your problem, carry an 8mm socket and extention with you at all times (i do). I have been driving mine now for about five months and once in a while it picks crap up and I have to clean it. As for the idle cut off valve I would check it first as the others said. Mine was intermetant. My solution was to cut the end of the valve off. I dont suggest this for everyone but its cheaper than buying a new valve. Side effect for this mod is the car will chug twice when I turn off the key. If you turn the ignition on and disconnect the wire to the idle cut off valve, then put it back on you should here it click. Mine always did when I did the test parked, but after driving it would not "click" One day out of frustration I smacked it with a screwdriver and then it worked. So for a month that is how I opperated the car, wont run or start, smack the valve with the screwdriver and away I went. Later I read somewhere about cutting the end of the plunger off the valve....so I did problem solved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:    Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:58 pm

RULE NUMBER 1. Buy a used VW, do a complete tune-up on it including valve adjustment. Many running issues may seem like carb issues, but read on.

A dying car is not necessarily the carb. You really need to go through the entire tune up procedure on a car you just bought. You don't know when things were last done or if they were done properly, so you need to do them. It could be a simple matter of old plugs. The resistors in them DO wear out and they are suggested to be replaced every 9,000 miles. Yes, every 9 K.
Spend the extra 30 cents each for Bosch or other German brands, which your head threads will thank you for in the long run.

If you have crap in the carb, remove the carb, remove the jets, clean it, blow out all the tiny channels, change the fuel filter, or install a second one under the tank.
Remember, no filter anywhere near the distributor. Fire hazard. It belongs under the left rear fender.

Check the snugness of the fuel cut-off solenoid. If it's loose, you'll lose vacuum and the car will die when coming to a stop.

The 30/31 is a fantastic carb. very reliable.

Have you checked the valve adjustment? Tight or loose valves will kill a car at idle. So will loose heads.

You need to check, NO, CHANGE the plugs, check the timing, the points (or switch to electronic for $50. If you do, advance (counterclockwise) the timing a couple degrees - car will run amazing).

ALL of these things can cause your symptom.
You also don't want to get into a different carb until you're familiar with the excellent one you have. Likely, you need a complete tune up and nothing more.
These aren't plug and play cars. They were designed in the 1930s and REQUIRE tuning and maintenance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lovebugfans.com/
LuvnVdubn

PostSubject: Re: About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:    Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Thank You everyone for your help and suggestions. Once I gained some understanding on the way this damn carb operates, I realized there were a multitude of issues i needed to address. Mostly, the spring of my auto choke wasn't engaging the choke plate shaft properly, my throttle arm was actually bent forward (towards the fan shroud) which made the throttle screw hardly contact the choke cam and when it did it was in the wrong spot.. and a less than clean low idle pilot jet (thanks Breck)! After dealing with all that I was able to make her drive well, and Idle well. However now on cold starts the choke plate doesn't closes too far so I have to move the cam a notch or 2 manually and she'll fire right up, Idle, and run just fine. I can deal with that until, like Jim said, I do plugs, valve adjustments, tune up, yada yada yada. Again thanks for your help everyone, Abby and I appreciate it!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:    Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:42 am

I am very happy that months of personal pain resulted in helping you!!! LoL Keep that 8mil close....its not "if" but when its gonna plug again. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:    Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:10 am

I think we all learn from your trials and tribulations Breck. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:    Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:01 am

That is so freaking sad. clown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:    Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Rush, Nice job on getting in there and tackling it. The choke can be adjusted. Loosen the screws a tad and turn counter-clockwise.
Like I said, properly set up, the 30/31 is fantastic on any 1200-1600 single port.

Remember: the lever that rests on the cam steps is NOT the idle. Keep that in mind. When warm, the cam steps should be all the way up and the arm just BARELY NOT touching it. It is for engaging with the choke activated only.

Small screw on the left is the fuel mixture, initial setting out 2.5 turns.
BIG screw on the left is the air/IDLE. Same initial setting.

Fuel mixture screw 1/8 of a turn IN each week until you quit getting a lot of black soot on the tail pipe lip or notice a running issue. Then go back 1/8 for good measure.

Fresh plugs and the rest and it sounds like the car will run even better.
Electronic points work wonders. I love them.

Glad stuff we said here was helpful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lovebugfans.com/
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:    Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Breck wrote:
That is so freaking sad. clown
...but true. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:    

Back to top Go down

About to take a hammer to my Solex 30/31!!! :twisted:
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1