Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mixed-up Bug

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rypp73

PostSubject: Mixed-up Bug   Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:28 am

Breck and I went to Loomis to look at a '64 today. It sold last night so, wasted trip. On the way home we hit Pick n Pull in Rocklin to see what they had, and that would be nothing. The lady said Antelope had some Vdubs so we headed that way. When we got there, they said they had a '73, a van, type 3 and a '67/'77 complete builder for sale. The '67/'77 is a '77 beetle that the vin came up as a '67 so all the paperwork they have says '67. The thing is rust free and SOLID. We asked if they could start it, this was the first blank stare they gave us. After the 15 minute wait for dufus to go get a battery, he shows up with one, and it's dead. They wheel over a little jump-starter that would not start a Geo and failed at getting it to turn over. At this pint we left them and went to look for dub stuff out in the mess, found what used to be a nice Squareback and a '73 baja super. After swiping some small parts from the super for Pete, we went back to see if these guys could get the beetle started. Dufus number one asked dufus number two to go get a car and try to jump the dead beetle, all we got was a couple of slow engine turns but no tweet tweet. We then tried to jump it off of the full size Bronco sitting next to it, should work right?....no. I killed the battery on the running Bronco, it seems the Bronco needs an alternator. When we departed the Pick n Pull we left the dufus boys, now there were 4, standing there with a blank stare. I told them I'll be back on Thursday, why dont you try and get it started before then.

Now for a somewhat related and unrelated question, will a early 70's pancake motor out of a bus bolt into a Squareback?

Thanks for listening!

Mike.

By the way, sorry for my spelling, I was in the army.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Mixed-up Bug   Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:56 am

Rypp73 wrote:
By the way, sorry for my spelling, I was in the army.
I don't see any problems. Wink

So I have to ask. What are your intentions for this '77/'67 bug? If it's titled as a '67, is the pan '67? Does it have a wide five bolt pattern? I would steer clear of a car where the body and pan don't match. I know there are a lot of them out there but they would keep me from taking one seriously. Parts car is what I think of. It's just my opinion but I think you could get a hell of a lot more car for what you are looking to spend. You should look for something that you could get your money back out of if you needed or wanted to. It's your money but.....

I'm just sayin'..... geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rypp73

PostSubject: Re: Mixed-up Bug   Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:22 am

yeah I was thinking about that car last night and it did not have a wide five pattern on it, and it really did not seem like there was any kind of a swap that took place. I think it may have been more of a mix up than anything. dam shame it was the most solid bug ive seen yet.

I get my tax money thursday so I should have my vehicle by this weekend.

any thought on the pancake question.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Mixed-up Bug   Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:44 pm

I'm sure the motor will fit. Might need some modifications here and there (mainly in the tins) but if a small block Chevy can be put into a bug, anything is possible.

Questions is.....why?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rypp73

PostSubject: Re: Mixed-up Bug   Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:57 pm

I know where a nice motor is, and one of the cars I am looking at is a squareback
Back to top Go down
View user profile
silvertonguedevil
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Mixed-up Bug   Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Nothing wrong with a good running squareback engine! I can't think of any advantages to what you're thinking about doing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rypp73

PostSubject: Re: Mixed-up Bug   Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:50 pm

lol, the proposed plan would be buy the squareback, drive it. Take the 1900 pancake and rebuild it, then shouehorn in into the car

I have 4 cars Im looking at right now, and they are all over the place, baja, squarback stock, super everything
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Mixed-up Bug   Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:28 pm

The Bug not starting could be one loose connection or a $7 set of points... Doesn't mean it's hopeless.
If you want to see it run, you should give it a once over and make sure it's getting fuel and spark. Bring a battery. Jumping a dead battery is one thing, but dead batteries with bad cells is just a lost cause. That also may have been the problem, a direct short in the bad battery.

I'm not sure of your skill level, but VWs aren't hard to get running again usually, and if you want to get into junkyard level cars, you'll need to have a few knowledge tools in your arsenal.

If you liked it, go back and see what you can talk them down to.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lovebugfans.com/
Rypp73

PostSubject: Re: Mixed-up Bug   Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:13 pm

ran into some money issues and stopped looking, the visit to opick and pull was by chance and we did not even have a screwdriver with us.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jim Douglas Jr
SacTown

PostSubject: Re: Mixed-up Bug   Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Aww! Well, at least it was a little VW adventure.
If you were in an aircooled VW, you should have a basic tool kit at all times.

I bought my first car dirt cheap after figuring it needed a $12 voltage regulator.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lovebugfans.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mixed-up Bug   

Back to top Go down

Mixed-up Bug
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1