Northern California's Largest VW Enthusiasts Group

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Breck

PostSubject: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Hello all, After meeting some you it was suggested to relieve my poor gas mileage I should ditch the after market 31/32 carb and go to the original carb (34). I found one at a buddies, rebuilt it. Added a 55 pilot and a 127 main as directed by others. After many hours of fiddiling with it my bug will idle and runs ok on the top (freeway at 65+) but is strugguling to get there. My system is the DVDA distributor with standard points. The car is flat in many places thru the rpm range, mostly the lower thru mid rpms. It is hesitant and stumbles at lower rpms and flat and lackluster in the mids. I am convinced that it lies in the adjustment of the air control screws both small and large. My real problem lies in the difference of opinion that I am finding in where to start at. I know to make sure timing and ignition componants are set and in good working order b4 starting carb adjustment but I have read in my Hanes manual to set the small air screw at 2.5 turns out as a starting point. Then when talking with a long time vw mtr builder he stated that he started at 6 turns out. That is a huge diference!! For the record 2.5 turns out nettted a non-running motor. Six turns at least got me running. So where do I go from here to make my bug run properly and efficiently. Any help will be met with much praise. Breck
P>S> Better check what should my timing be set at 73 SB 1600DP
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi Breck and welcome to the group.

You always want to start with a valve adjustment. VERY first thing. Even if one valve is off, it can be hard to adjust the carb. So start there. .006 if memory serves me right on all the valves when car is cold.

Then yes, points adjusted then timing then carb. When you do your timing I believe you are suppose to take off the vacuum advance if I remember right.

I would also check for air leaks around the manifold areas.. air leaks will screw up a carb adjustment.

So you have done all that.. does your carb change when you screw in the mixture screw? Meaning if you screw it in does it start to die? I have had few cars that did not change when I adjust the screw.. that was a sign of an air leak in the system.

View user profile http://www.norcalvdubs.com
Breck

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:54 pm

Brad thanks for your reply
Valves adjusted no air leaks and yes when you adjust either screw it has and affect.. I can control the idle with the big screw on top and the lower screw will effect the idle/smoothness as well as lean/richnes. My book discribes tunning both in a chorus of the pair. Very vague at best. So it runs but behaves as if its rich in the low end, after many hours of adjustment I cannot find the sweet spot. I have had the smaller (air screw) almost loose (out, more air) and still cant get it right. Breck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Another problem I had was with the float level.. it can feed it to much gas if it is to high.

Did you have running problems witht the old carb? or just bad gas mileage?

Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:05 pm

BAD MILAGE. 16MPG!!!

Call the shop Tues - Fri 8:30-5 at:  530-477-2582
Text me at:  530-613-7192

AIR COOLED FOR LIFE!!!!! Twisted Evil

1972 BODY & PAN FOR SALE (PAN NEEDS BOTH PAN HALVES REPLACED, SOLID BAJA BODY, WILLING TO SEPERATE) $600 OBO (PAID $750)
1970 PAN FOR SALE (WAS A FULL SIZED BUGGY THAT BURNT.  HAS NEW BRAKE HARD LINE MASTER BACK & REAR FLEX LINES, & NEW CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS/BOLTS NOT INSTALLED) $300 OBO PAID $350

NEED A TOW??
RENT ME & MY 91 DODGE DIESEL, TOWBAR, OR FLATBED CAR TRAILER FOR ONLY $1.00 A MILE!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.altasierrasmogstop.com
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Wonder if a lobe or two on the cam shaft are bad?

Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:08 pm

HE HAD A 30/31 WITH THAT FUNKY ADAPTER ON IT. THE 34 IS WHAT IT SHOULD HAVE. I DONT REMEMBER IF THERE WAS VAC ADVANCE DIST OR NOT THO.

1972 BODY & PAN FOR SALE (PAN NEEDS BOTH PAN HALVES REPLACED, SOLID BAJA BODY, WILLING TO SEPERATE) $600 OBO (PAID $750)
1970 PAN FOR SALE (WAS A FULL SIZED BUGGY THAT BURNT.  HAS NEW BRAKE HARD LINE MASTER BACK & REAR FLEX LINES, & NEW CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS/BOLTS NOT INSTALLED) $300 OBO PAID $350

NEED A TOW??
RENT ME & MY 91 DODGE DIESEL, TOWBAR, OR FLATBED CAR TRAILER FOR ONLY $1.00 A MILE!!
Back to top Go down
Bradford
Admin

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:44 pm

When you say the big screw on top... there are two screws on the side of the carb and a set screw in front of the carb. Some people make the mistake of having that set screw turned in to much.. there is a spec for that, but it is supposed to just barely touch the metal.

Then yes, the large screw is the idle control and the small screw is the mixture.

Breck

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Daul vac dual advance dist. Bug ran like a champ just gets teribbbbbllle gas milage. I did another visual check of all the under the hood lines. No leaks. All hoses and vacume lines are new as of yesterday. Last valve check two weeks ago. Timing set by a buddy at the same time. Hope to get a hold of a timing light tonight and set it my self. Breck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:48 pm

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY PER RAY (THE VW ENGINE GOD) VAC ADVANCE 40 BTDC AT FULL ADVANCE. NON VAC 28-32 BTDC AT FULL ADVANCE.

NEED A TOW??
Back to top Go down
Breck

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Explain at full advance?? What rpm range are we talking about?? Disclaimer!!! I have not had a timing device in my hand in 30 years so if the new fangled electronic tools tell us "at full advance" then I would not have known.......thats my story and I am sticking to it!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smogman72
VW Guru - Moderator
VW Guru - Moderator

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:02 pm

ABOUT 2500-3000 RPMS SHOULD BE FULL ADVANCE. IT WHEN THE ADVANCE MECHANISM IS AT ITS LIMIT. IF YOU HAVE A TIMING ADVANCE ON THE LIGHT THEN JUST SET IT AT 40 BRING THE RPMS UP TILL THE TIMING MARK DOESNT MOVE ANY MORE (FULL ADVANCE) AND MAKE THE ADJUSTMENT IF NEEDED.

NEED A TOW??
Back to top Go down
Breck

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:23 pm

Thanks Cliff, I knew what at full advance ment, just not how or when it would be there. My buddy should bring me his light tomorrow. Now if my timing is way off and I set it will my idle be screwed up because I put the cart b4 the horse? Will I be starting over?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Welcome to the club Breck. Here's a link that I use to setup my 34 PICT.
http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html
I've had great results using this method. And,yes, changing the timing will affect your carb settings......
Back to top Go down
Breck

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks Eric for the input however thats where I got the original 2.5 turns that did not work. It is taken directly from the Hanes manual. However it is the tuning sequence that I have been using. I am just not getting it to the sweet spot. I think that it will be back to square one this weekend. Valve adjustment first, timing second screw with the carb last. By the way after driveng to work and back I have had no change in gas consumption.....still sucks.....literally lol What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:58 am

I know that you are dealing with first things first, but as for the mileage common denominator... How's the tranny? Tires/wheel bearings? Anything that could be causing a big drag making the motor work harder?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rypp73

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:56 pm

It is just running way FAT!, so i guess I know what we are doing this week end breck.

By the way I am new also, my name is Mike. I was helping breck with PETE (the 73) last week end. I am in the market for a Bug at the moment, just waiting on tax return. I am a converted Water cooled guy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:05 pm

All rotating parts are free and spinning. My drive way has less than a degree in slope and my bug will roll away if the brake is not on. Tranny is free, no grinding, shifts easy and free. Stays in all gears.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:26 pm

Breck wrote:
All rotating parts are free and spinning. My drive way has less than a degree in slope and my bug will roll away if the brake is not on. Tranny is free, no grinding, shifts easy and free. Stays in all gears.

Sounds good. Sounds like you are on the right track then.

Welcome to Mike, you need to go to the Welcome section and tell us a bit about yourself? I know of a bug for sale... I think it's $1800, complete, I think it's a '67. You can call Hank (Dyno Tech) at Evil Genius Racing about it 916-275-1039.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Hmmmm Mike 67 for 1800 bux looks like some one is looking out for u!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rypp73

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:05 pm

woot! I will give him a call.

i will also post in the welcome thread

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsimas

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:06 pm

It was a month or two ago that Hank told me about his car, and I may be wrong on the details, but I know it sounded like a very fair deal to me. Hope it works out for you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breck

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:44 pm

Well gang I am at a stand still till I figure this beast out. If I am not able to get a timing light b4 the tech day I will just let Pete sit. Car runs and idles fine now just fat and lathargic thru the low rpms. Hoping the Cliff and crew can save the day. Breck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB   

Back to top Go down

German 34 pict now installed in 73 SB
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1